MentorMatch is a program of the North Alabama chapter of the Public Relations Council of Alabama (NAPRCA) that allows current students, recent graduates, and new professionals alike the opportunity to connect with experienced members who share similar professional interests and career fields. Mentors will invest time sharing their expertise, knowledge of the industry, and words of encouragement to nurture the growth of their mentee.
Mentoring is an all-encompassing way to encourage personal growth. The mentor and mentee will work together to develop the mentee’s underlying abilities and will help develop new skills and acquire knowledge in their chosen field. Mentees who take full advantage of the program will have assistance with resume and cover letter review, job applications, internships and potential job opportunities.
Mentors and mentees will complete an online application to participate. Once applications are reviewed, candidates will be matched by the MentorMatch committee. The matched mentor/mentee participants will be contacted via email and will sign a mentoring agreement to participate in the program.
Requirements for MentorMatch
- Must hold an active PRCA Membership
- Career in public relations, communications, marketing, or related field
- Must be willing to meet with mentee two times in a semester
Ideal Mentors Are:
- Professionals with industry experience
- Advocates of the public relations, marketing, advertising industries or related fields
- Professionals who are willing to share their professional network with mentees, should the opportunity arise
- Sounding boards and advisors who help mentees explore possibilities and learn more about their chosen industries, review career paths and fine-tune their career goals
- Open to sharing past successes, failures and insights into lessons learned
- Supporters and givers of constructive feedback
Benefits for the Mentor Include the Opportunity to:
- Further develop leadership skills
- Provide feedback, communicate and develop interpersonal skills
- Gain new perspectives through interaction with mentee
- Reflect on own practices
- Invest in the future of the mentee
- Must hold an active PRCA Membership (professional or student)
- Pursuing/just started career in public relations, communications, marketing, or related field
- Must be willing to meet with mentor two times in a semester
Ideal Mentees Are:
- Ambitious students, recent graduates, or new professionals who are seeking career advice and have the desire to grow professionally
- Open to new experiences and learning opportunities
- Willing to accept constructive guidance and recommendations, while keeping an open mind
Benefits for the Mentee Include the Opportunity to:
- Develop new skills and expertise
- Enhance confidence in dealing with challenges and issues
- Enhance networking opportunities
- Gain clarity in career direction and advancement
- Increase individual visibility and recognition within the organization
- Gain constructive feedback on resume, cover letter, mock interview, job application, etc.
If you are interested in participating in the MentorMatch program, please click the appropriate link to apply. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 29, 2021. Should you have any questions, please contact our VP of Students, Rylee Lefevre at firstname.lastname@example.org.