The 2020 application period has ended.
Michael K. Simmons Memorial Scholarship
North Alabama Chapter of the Public Relations Council of Alabama
Goal: To assist a student in earning an undergraduate degree in communications-related field of study
Award: A $2,000 tuition scholarship
Eligibility: Any NAPRCA student member attending a college or university in North Alabama pursuing an undergraduate degree in public relations or public relations-related fields of study such as public communications, marketing, mass communications, or journalism who meets the eligibility requirements.
Not currently a NAPRCA student member? Apply today!
- Student must currently be enrolled in good standing with at least one completed semester of coursework.
- Student must be enrolled or planning to enroll in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 semesters.
- Student must be enrolled in a communications-related field of study (see above).
- Student must be a member of the North Alabama Chapter of PRCA (May pay annual membership fee of $25 at time of application. Does not cover local university chapter fee, if applicable).
- Student must submit a one-page, double-spaced essay along with application answering the following: “What are your Communications/PR career goals and reasons for choosing the Communications/PR profession.” Submit essay as attachment in the online application.
- Student must have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 grade scale) or a 2.0 (on a 3.0 grade scale) grade point average. Please include a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial).
- Student must submit one letter of recommendation from a university department representative (i.e. instructor/professor, adviser, department chair).
- Student must provide enrollment status documentation – either full time or part time.
Criteria: The award selection will be based on the following criteria: grade point average (GPA); extracurricular activities (with favor given to communications-related activities); recommendation; essay.
Deadline/Award: Due to interruptions caused by COVID-19, the scholarship deadline has been extended. All applications must be submitted electronically by the new deadline of Friday, April 24th, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered. A recipient will be chosen and contacted in May, and the award will be presented at the May NAPRCA Chapter meeting, pending additional COVID-19 interference. The scholarship may be used for tuition and fees for the Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 semester.
Questions or issues? Rylee Lefevre, NAPRCA Student Chapter Liaison, at email@example.com.
Complete and submit the form below to apply! You may either copy and paste your transcript, letter of recommendation and essay, or upload each of the files below.